Hip to Be Square
Wednesday October 18th 2006, 7:48 am
Filed under: Patristics

Run, don’t walk, to your newsstand to pick up the November edition of First Things. Its lead essay is “The Return of the Fathers, by R.R. Reno. Gosh, he makes it sound cool and even postmodern to do patristic studies. Read it and see if it’s your patriotic (and patrologic) duty to pursue that doctorate.

More on this as I give the essay the closer study it deserves (possibly early November).

I read this post earlier and was wondering when my issue would arrive, and sure enough it came in today’s mail! Now, I need to find the time to finish last month’s issue and then start reading this one.

Comment by Danny Garland Jr. 10.18.06 @ 1:28 pm

By the power vested in me by no one in particular, I hereby dispense you from your obligation to read last month’s First Things first. (Now try saying those last five words five times fast.)

Go thou, get out of jail free. Pass go. Collect $200. Read R.R. Reno.

Comment by Mike Aquilina 10.18.06 @ 1:37 pm

Ha! That settles last month’s First Things, but what about all the reading Dr.’s Hahn and Miravalle have me doing? ;-)

Comment by Danny Garland Jr. 10.18.06 @ 1:42 pm

No power on earth can dispense you from that. If you’ve been studying with Dr. Miravalle, you know by now that your only possible appeal is to the archangels. (BTW, when you see Fr. Mike Scanlan, ask him to show you his second-class relic of St. Michael the Archangel.)

Comment by Mike Aquilina 10.18.06 @ 1:51 pm

Yes, it always helps to appeal to the Archangels. I will definitely ask Fr. Scanlan to show me his relic next time I see him!

Comment by Danny Garland Jr. 10.18.06 @ 2:06 pm

Mike, I thought of you guy when I saw the cover I’ll read it tomorrow I PROMISE!!

Comment by Pauli 10.18.06 @ 10:15 pm

This will be sweet. I can’t wait.

Comment by Kyle 10.19.06 @ 9:50 am

Hmm.. I’ve just read it and it may be my Patristic duty to get my doctorate in Patristic studies! I wish they had some classes on Patristics at Steubenville.

Reno is great! I love reading his articles. Of course I may be a little biased because he is an ex-Anglican like myself….

Comment by Danny Garland Jr. 10.20.06 @ 1:37 pm