Family Matters
Wednesday February 28th 2007, 3:08 am
Filed under: Books,Site News

Grace builds on nature. Anyone who’s read my book The Fathers of the Church knows that I trace my love for the Church Fathers back to my love for my dad. It’s the constant teaching of the Fathers that the home is a Church (ecclesia domestica) and the Church is a family (familia Dei).

So, in the interest of full theological disclosure, I’ve written a book about the life of my family — my parents and sibs, my wife and my kids. It’s called Love in the Little Things: Tales of Family Life, and it’s been vetted by my wife and my four oldest children. I’m told it’s quite funny. (Patristic nerds will be happy to know that Ambrose, Augustine, and crew make cameo appearances.) If you dare to peek behind the pages of this blog, Love in the Little Things is your keyhole.

But don’t take my word for it — or my kids’ word for it. Here’s what the reviewers have to say:

“I wish I could have read this book when I was a young dad, but I was too busy learning all the lessons alongside Mike Aquilina. No matter what stage of the parenting game you’re at, don’t delay—start reading this book now!”
—Scott Hahn, author, Letter and Spirit: From Written Text to Living Word in the Liturgy

“…a domestic catechism for the domestic church…absolutely delightful and insightful”
Bishop Thomas J. Tobin, Providence, R.I.

“…a book that knows real life smells a little like incense, a little like pasta and a little like a used diaper. As someone who has experienced the gracious vivacity of the Aquilina home firsthand, I can promise that you have a sure and fine guide to finding the Blessed Trinity in the clutter and chaos of the glorious thing known as family.”
Mark P. Shea, author, By What Authority?

“This book is a delight—easy to read and pregnant with insight. It is amazing how little things will change your view about family, faith and life.”
Curtis Martin, president and founder, FOCUS

“Mix lots of laughter and a few tears, add generous helpings of faith and hope, bring it all to a boil with the flame of love—that’s Mike Aquilina’s recipe for a happy, holy family. Love in the Little Things stands out for its good humor and deeply Catholic good sense. A terrific read for married couples of any age and for couples preparing for marriage.”
—Russell Shaw, author, Catholic Laity in the Mission of the Church

“…a charming yet profound blueprint on how to be a devout Christian. People of all ages, of all religions, will delight to read this self-deprecating guide for pursuing holiness in a family milieu with all its humorous idiosyncrasies. Bravo!”
—Rev. T.G. Morrow, author, Christian Courtship in an Oversexed World

Woa, those are some good blurbs! I’m a young dad with a 2-year-old and hopefully many more to come. Will check the book out!

Comment by Chad Toney 02.28.07 @ 9:33 am

You’re in a good place, Chad! Make the most of every moment there!

Comment by Mike Aquilina 02.28.07 @ 9:34 am

I can’t wait to pick this up!

Comment by SteveG 02.28.07 @ 10:05 am

Well, gosh, Steve — don’t wait!

Comment by Mike Aquilina 02.28.07 @ 10:14 am

As a matter of fact I won’t.
Just ordered it from Amazon!:-)

Comment by SteveG 02.28.07 @ 10:19 am

It would be nice to see the table of contents. That always encourages me to purchase a book.

Comment by TP 02.28.07 @ 11:25 am

I’ll see if I can get one of the kids to type it up. I’ll warn you, though: It might not be very helpful. Chapter titles were produced by the same person who writes headlines for this blog — where punning almost always trumps meaning.

Comment by Mike Aquilina 02.28.07 @ 11:29 am

I can’t wait to read this–Mike, you rock!

Comment by Michael Barber 02.28.07 @ 11:52 am

Congratulations! It sounds like the perfect gift for a family member turned off by more conventional books about the faith.

Comment by Rich Leonardi 02.28.07 @ 2:15 pm

I think so. The “lessons” of life are easier to take when a kid delivers them. It’s hard for adults to say the same things without getting punched in the nose.

Comment by Mike Aquilina 02.28.07 @ 2:51 pm

Ah….Mike Aquilina, the king of the puns!

Comment by Danny Garland Jr. 02.28.07 @ 3:38 pm

Definitely looking forward to finishing the semester and buying your book.

Comment by Theocoid 02.28.07 @ 7:36 pm

Mike, Mike, Mike- why didn’t you mention this sooner? What’s the best way to order when you live close to the author? ;)

Do you think I’ll have time to read it before we add to our growing domestic church?

Comment by Christina 03.01.07 @ 12:04 am

The Library of Congress has posted a table of contents for the book. It’s right here. The chapter titles should get you wondering — if not about the book, then about my sanity.

Comment by Mike Aquilina 03.01.07 @ 8:35 pm

Any book with a chapter called “For the Love of Coffee” will end up on my shelves.

But, Mike, really, must you make us do math in order to prevent spam? My daughter, looking over my shoulder just now, said, “That’s not nice!”

Comment by Karen E. 03.02.07 @ 2:17 pm

Sorry about that, Karen. But the math has actually helped a little bit. My son, though, sympathizes with your daughter. He wanted me to put up a question related to patristics. I told him that would indeed eliminate spam — and comments too!

Comment by Mike Aquilina 03.02.07 @ 5:39 pm