I Catch Up to 2001
Friday April 17th 2009, 3:41 pm
Filed under: Site News

My beloved daughter gave me her old iPod when she got a new one. I can’t work to music, so I’ve been using it only when I exercise — but that’s meant a daily lecture on the Fathers. And so far I haven’t paid a penny. I burned through the Louth lectures right away. Then, on iTunes, I found free downloads by John Cavadini, Robert Louis Wilken, Jaroslav Pelikan, John Peter Kenney, and many others. I loaded up, and I haven’t heard even half of the material I found. If you have an iTunes account, it’s really worth your while to go searching after terms like “patristics,” “Christian history,” and “Augustine.”

I just got an awesome (and free) reading of the entire Imitation of Christ online and I LOVE it!
Yes, iPods are good things.

Comment by Diana 04.17.09 @ 4:26 pm

You should try “A Word From the Holy Fathers” by Deacon Matthew Steenberg, the webmaster of monachos.net. You can find it on iTunes in the Ancient Faith Radio section.

You are still one step ahead of me, though — I’ve never even used an iPod!

Comment by Felix Culpa 04.17.09 @ 6:28 pm

It brings new temptations, though. I see ads now that I’d never noticed before, like Father Brian Daley’s course on Christian beginnings: http://store.nowyouknowmedia.com/early-church.html

Get thee behind me.

Comment by Mike Aquilina 04.17.09 @ 6:48 pm

[...] resources. Share the [...]

Pingback by Stones Cry Out - If they keep silent… » Things Heard: e64v1 04.20.09 @ 1:57 pm

I’m sure you’re already aware, but in case not, check out http://orthodoxsermons.org/ :)

The sermons by Fr. Anthony Messeh are quite enjoyable.

Comment by Jeremy 04.22.09 @ 6:20 pm

He who prays listens to singing twice!

…or something like that.

Comment by Jeff 04.22.09 @ 8:43 pm

[...] Mike Aquilina has recommended a list of podcasts that you can find free on iTunes. [S]o far I haven’t paid a penny. I burned through the Louth lectures right away. Then, on iTunes, I found free downloads by John Cavadini, Robert Louis Wilken, Jaroslav Pelikan, John Peter Kenney, and many others. I loaded up, and I haven’t heard even half of the material I found. If you have an iTunes account, it’s really worth your while to go searching after terms like “patristics,” “Christian history,” and “Augustine.” [...]

Pingback by The Daily Eudemon 04.23.09 @ 2:33 am

On the techno side, isn’t it amusing when our children bequeath us their old, outdated stuff and we’re like kids on Christmas morning? I can relate ….

Comment by Karen Edmisten 04.23.09 @ 8:28 am