New Book Is In
Friday July 10th 2009, 6:51 pm
Filed under: Books,Patristics

My newest new book, Fire of God’s Love: 120 Reflections on the Eucharist, has arrived!

It’s a collection of unusual (if I do say so myself), but entirely orthodox meditations from a diverse assortment of saints and thinkers. For example:

Marshall McLuhan

J.R.R. Tolkien

Maria Montessori

Blaise Pascal

Richard John Neuhaus

G.E.M. Anscombe

Plus the Fathers, of course: Augustine, Chrysostom, Ambrose, Ephrem, Caesarius of Arles, Cyril of Jerusalem, Balaeus, Irenaeus, Justin, Ignatius, Jacob of Sarugh, Maximus Confessor, Sechnall … And, as the folks at Ronco used to say, many more.

I’ve also invoked some names that were ubiquitous a century or a half ago, and should not be forgotten: Moritz Meschler, Nicholas Gihr, Maurice Zundel, April Oursler Armstrong, A.M. Roguet, Lawrence Lovasik … And, as the folks at Ronco used to say, many more.

And I’ve included my beloved friends Carl Sommer and Father Ronald Lawler — and Scott Hahn, to whom the book is dedicated.

I think you’ll like it. It’s a substantial book that sticks to your ribs. The readings I chose have stuck to mine, down the years.

Excellent news! Hopefully, I can get my copy in time to have you sign it in a couple of weeks!

Comment by Carl Sommer 07.11.09 @ 11:22 am

Do you ever sleep? What is it, like, your fifth book this year?

Comment by Rich Leonardi 07.12.09 @ 1:59 pm

Jacob Neusner has published more than 500 books (last time I looked, which was several years ago). That makes me look like a piker. If I publish the rest of my life at twice my current rate, I wouldn’t catch up with him.

Comment by Mike Aquilina 07.13.09 @ 8:10 am

Mike, this is going on my “to buy” list. I am really comfortable reading your work. I am reading your “Mass of the ECs” as a precursor to the O’Connor book “Hidden Manna” which is pretty heavy, but I was finding (as I read them side by side) that you were covering in a more concise way much of the same points… so I thought it would be good to put the other book down and digest what you have to say first.

Again, thanks for doing what you do! I am very interested on reading things about the Eucharist right now – obviously as it is so central. Many thanks!

In Christ,
-g-

Comment by George 07.17.09 @ 9:11 pm

HI Mike –

I love the Eucharist! Your book reminds me of another good one I am reading right now: “Fire Within” by Fr. Thomas Dubay is a must read. Speaking of saints, the book is about the spirituality of Sts. Teresa of Avila and John of
the Cross. As you know, they lived the Gospel life fully to include obedience and love of the Church and all it gives us in the sacraments. I can’t put it down, to use your words!!

BTW, is the movie Quo Vadis worth watching? I heard there might be something in it about St. Peter?

Peace of Christ,

Maryella

Comment by Maryella 07.18.09 @ 7:33 pm

Hi, Maryella! Prayed for you in the Holy Land. I’m ashamed to say I’ve never seen Quo Vadis. Anybody out there seen it?

Comment by Mike Aquilina 07.18.09 @ 10:30 pm