Wedded Bliss
Monday July 13th 2009, 1:51 pm
Filed under: Patristics,Site News

For Catholics, the calendar is the hermeneutical key to the Scriptures. At every Mass we hear an Old Testament reading, a Psalm, and a New Testament reading, often following a pattern of promise and fulfillment, and usually relevant in some way to the time of the season.

My beloved wife and I went to noon Mass today, as is our custom, but today we went to celebrate our twenty-fourth wedding anniversary. If I could remember the periodic table, I’d know what element is almost silver. But I don’t. In any event, I found the readings of the day thought-provoking (and funny) in light of the occasion — children of Israel becoming alarmingly numerous, enemies in one’s own household. Good thing our help is in the name of the Lord.

Today’s as good a day as any to re-publish the words of St. John Chrysostom that I used to dedicate my book The Fathers of the Church to Terri.

An intelligent, discreet, and pious young woman is worth more than all the money in the world. Tell her that you love her more than your own life, because this present life is nothing, and that your only hope is that the two of you pass through this life in such a way that, in the world to come, you will be united in perfect love.

Happy anniversary. And a great quote from Chrysostom! Who says he was a misogynist?

Comment by Carl Sommer 07.13.09 @ 3:18 pm

Happy Anniversary Mike and Terri! Wishing you many many more.

Comment by vito 07.13.09 @ 9:17 pm

Best wishes for 24 x 24 more years of happiness!

Comment by Marie 07.13.09 @ 11:07 pm

HEY!! Happy Anniversary to yooze.

Comment by Bob Pegritz 07.14.09 @ 9:57 am

Dear Mike and Terri;
Congratulations to the both of you. Patrice and I wish you many, many more years of happiness.
God Bless you both.
Patrice and Bob McKenna.

Comment by bob mckenna 07.14.09 @ 12:20 pm

Happy anniversary Terri and Mike!

Much love,
Doug and Susan

Comment by Susan Brown 07.14.09 @ 4:51 pm

A lovely quotation! What’s the reference?

Comment by Roger Pearse 07.28.09 @ 7:24 am

[...] Mike Aquilina.  Tags: John Chrysostom, Patristics, [...]

Pingback by Chrysostom on marriage at Roger Pearse 07.28.09 @ 7:28 am

It’s from Homily 20 on Ephesians 5:22-33, which is on page 61 of the little St. Vladimir’s book On Marriage and Family Life.

Comment by Mike Aquilina 07.28.09 @ 7:36 am