Excuses
Saturday August 15th 2009, 10:14 am
Filed under: Books,Site News

Sorry I’ve been so quiet. I was back in the studio with Scott Hahn to tape another 13-week series for EWTN. This one, our eighth, is based on Scott’s upcoming book Signs of Life: 40 Catholic Customs and Their Biblical Roots. I’ve now hosted more than a hundred shows for EWTN.

And, of course, by night I continue laboring at my painstaking reconstruction of the bylaws of the Q Community’s volunteer fire department. It takes its toll.

I like the crack about Q. I reminds me of what J. P. Meier wrote, in A Marginal Jew: ‘…every morning exegetes should repeat, “Q is a hypothetical document whose exact extension, wording, originating community, strata, and stages of composition cannot be known.”‘

Comment by Carl Sommer 08.15.09 @ 11:00 am

You think I’m joking.

Comment by Mike Aquilina 08.15.09 @ 11:02 am

Hi Mike,
Can you post when you will be on EWTN? We get that channel up here and we’d love to see your shows!
Take care and send our love to Terri…hope you all are enjoying the summer!
Love,
Susan

Comment by Susan Brown 08.15.09 @ 7:15 pm

Hi Sue! We don’t have a working TV, so I never really see myself. I looked at EWTN’s online schedule and found that they’re currently airing two series I did with Scott Hahn: “Reasons to Believe” and “First Comes Love.” RTB shows on Thursdays at 2 a.m., Sundays at 6:30 a.m., and Mondays at 9 p.m. FCL runs Fridays at 2 a.m.

It seems they always have two of our series in rotation. Some of the reruns are from nine years ago, so I’m a lot less gray! The new series will probably start in January or March-ish of 2010.

In Late September or early October I’ll appear on “The Abundant Life,” with Johnnette Benkovic. When I have a date, I’ll post it.

Comment by Mike Aquilina 08.15.09 @ 7:26 pm

Hello:

I have enjoyed you books and EWTN programs for what it seems like a very long time.

Has celebrity and being a widely know author and TV host affected you or your family life? Or have you ever thought about it like that?

Just curious! Keep the good work.

Rudy Garcia (Confirmed in the Church through the RCIA program in 1995 aged 34).

Comment by Rudy 08.19.09 @ 9:47 am

Hi Rudy! Thanks for thinking of me. “Celebrity” hasn’t had much of a chance to affect my family life because it’s not something we’re aware of 99 percent of the time. I’m a work-at-home dad who toils away in his office, the way lots of other dads do. Sometimes my phone rings, but so do other dads’ phones. The only times I’m recognized are at overwhelmingly Catholic events — the March for Life and such. So the kids don’t see it much, and when they do they think it’s hilarious.

Comment by Mike Aquilina 08.19.09 @ 9:52 am

We know that the Q Community did not look favorably upon Tyre and Sidon’s Volunteer Fire Department –

10:13 “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works had been done in Tyre and Sidon which were done in you, they would have repented long ago, sitting in sackcloth and ashes.

What kind of a FD leaves their people in sackcloth sitting in ashes?

Comment by Josh McManaway 08.21.09 @ 3:10 am

I suspect you’re right, Josh. Only a FD organized around a half-baked notion, like the Q Community, could do such a thing. The miracle, though, is that they get enough ashes when the baking is only half done.

Comment by Mike Aquilina 08.22.09 @ 10:06 am