Anniversary Schmaltz
Thursday July 13th 2006, 5:35 am
Filed under: Site News

An intelligent, discreet, and pious young woman is worth more than all the money in the world. Tell her that you love her more than your own life, because this present life is nothing, and that your only hope is that the two of you pass through this life in such a way that, in the world to come, you will be united in perfect love.

That’s St. John Chrysostom. I used those words to dedicated my book The Fathers of the Church to my wife Terri. She and I are married twenty-one years today.

Happy 21rst Anniversary Mike and Terri, and wishing you many, many more healthy and happy years together!

Comment by Vito 07.13.06 @ 6:48 am

God grant you many (more) years! Congratulations!

Comment by Drew C. 07.13.06 @ 7:36 am

Thanks, guys! I know a bookseller who sold many copies of my book by telling men to buy it for their wives, cross out Terri’s name on the dedication, and write in their own wife’s name. I’m told it worked for brownie points. I know it sold some books, at least!

Comment by Mike Aquilina 07.13.06 @ 7:45 am

That’s a fantastic quote – I’m stealing it. Happy anniversary!

Comment by Dave K. 07.13.06 @ 8:25 am

Happy anniversary Mike and Terri!!! Wow, 21 years!

Comment by Maureen 07.13.06 @ 8:26 am

Mnay congratulations!

Comment by Simon Crouch 07.13.06 @ 9:00 am

Just clipped it for my wife. Congratulations my friend. You have my prayers.

Comment by jamie 07.13.06 @ 9:09 am

Congratulations. Many more.

Comment by Eric S. 07.13.06 @ 9:57 am

Congratulations! We’re just one year ahead of you on the anniversary trail …

Comment by Julie D. 07.13.06 @ 10:17 am

Happy anniversary, and many happy returns of the day!

Comment by Maureen 07.13.06 @ 10:32 am

Happy anniversary.

“I have taken you in my arms, and I love you, and I prefer you to my life itself. For the present life is nothing, and my most ardent dream is to spend it with you in such a way that we may be assured of not being separated in the life reserved for us. … I place your love above all things, and nothing would be more bitter or painful to me than to be of a different mind than you.”
- Chrysostom, as quoted in the Catechism

Comment by Brad Haas 07.13.06 @ 12:33 pm

Congratulations and many years!

Comment by Kevin P. Edgecomb 07.13.06 @ 3:07 pm

Just beginning, eh, to find out what Love is all about-May it grow more deeply, more abundantly, more Gracefilled!!Anna

Comment by annacatherine@verizon.net 07.13.06 @ 8:37 pm

Belated congrats and best wishes for a happy celebration and many more to come!

Comment by Karen E. 07.14.06 @ 5:11 pm